I get to deal with .srt files a lot at the moment. Not only does everything we produce needs to meet accessibility standards, but the default for social media video is that since it auto-plays without sound you need subtitles burnt-in so that people can watch it without clicking on it.
Due to frustration with the slowness and buggyness of Adobe’s subtitle tools I’ve built a streamlined subtitle burner-inner, which I will post soon, but at the moment it’s got a lot of only-works-on-my-machine-ism hard-coded into it.
For now, here’s a useful tool I built because I had the task of shifting all the subtitles in a file to cope with titles being added to the head, affecting all the timings. Rather than pay for a rush transcription job I built this.
One of the cool things about the script is that it uses powershell’s built-in date-time object to do all the time calculations. That makes it super easy – I’ve done this kind of thing with bash and JS a few times and it always involves lots of string parsing and mucking around with numbers to add and subtract timecodes.